Navassa Island (La Navase) Nature Refuge
Located approximately 30 miles off Haiti's peninsula westward sits La Navase Island. Christopher Columbus discovered, calling it La Navase. It is an uninhabitable island, once used for guano mining.
Mining operations ceased in 1898. In 1914, a light house erected there provided guidance for lost mariners.
Post-World War II, the island was abandoned again. By the late 90s the Fish and Wildlife Service acquired a deed to the land. It remains off limits to visitors, used only as a wildlife refuge.