It was reported that over a dozen armed bandits dressed in military claiming to be former FADH military have terrorized the population of Arcahaie today. According to witnesses, they burned Police Station in Saint-Medard and also took the opportunity to rob a credit Union in the same area.
In a statement issued by Wilson Laleau, the Minister of Economy and Finance, in the middle of September, the minister had informed the general public and importers that the sovereign authority has decided to ban 23 Dominican products which will no longer be able to be imported by road; but they may enter by ship or air (excluding cement) and disembark only at the port of Port-au-Prince or Cap-Haitien. The primary decision behind this measure was to cover hundreds of millions of dollars of tax revenue lost due to smuggling; however, many critics are of opinion that the real motive was to benefit certain Haitian merchants so that they can hike commodity prices and sponsor certain electoral candidates. On October 12, in the town of Anse-à-Pitre near the border with Pedernales when the restricted items as usual arrived by their normal transport mode (motorcycle taxi), the Haitian authority applied the restricted measures and confiscated the banned goods which included many basic necessities for the Haitian population. This act fuelled anger among the locals, a spontaneous demonstration was formed which set fires on the customs building and motorcycle tyres and threw stones to the police; gun shots were reported.
Here is a picture of a major fire that took place in Queens on December 31, 2014. Louise Jean-Charles, husband Napoleon Michel, along with relative Nadia Donnay, all died in a fire that started as the family was preparing heir traditional Soup Joumou to celebrate Haiti Independence
A kitchen fire erupted at 11:45 p.m. in New York City's Elmhurst neighborhood, killing a Haitian couple and their cousin. Louise Jean-Charles, 59, and her husband Napoleon Michel, 69, became trapped inside their apartment. By the time fire crews arrived and rescued them, all three had suffered cardiac arrest.
The incident began when a pot of soup not attended to ignited a fire, quickly spreading to the dining room, living room, hallway, and bathroom, ending in the back bedrooms. When the firefighters entered they discovered the couple in the bedrooms. The cousin, Nadia Donnay, 37, was found jammed behind the door of the apartment. The three, who might've survived, could not be reached immediately because firefighters had to fight the blaze in the rooms leading to the bedrooms first.
Here is a picture from a fire at the Historic Center in the city of Jeremy.
On Saturday, March 22, 2014 a major fire erupted in the Historic center in Jeremy. Although the city is equipped with a Fire Department that is considered to be up to date, that did not stop the fire from spreading and ended up consuming several homes in the area