Cap-Haitien Nearly Burned to the Ground
Cap-Haitien was established in 1670 in the Taino town, Guarico. The French colonialists turned it into a territory and called it Cap-Francis in 1711.
The slave revolt in 1791 led to Haitian General Christophe to torch the city instead of surrendering it to the French.
Re-named Cap-Haitien in 1804, the year of Haiti's liberation, it has held up under many natural disasters, becoming in 1995 a National Heritage site. The city today still contains magnificent colonial-period architecture and monuments.