« Previous · Next »

Traditional Haitian soup left unattended caused fire that killed 3 in Queens

Comment on this photo

Traditional Haitian soup left unattended caused fire that killed 3 in Queens

Here is a picture of a major fire that took place in Queens on December 31, 2014. Louise Jean-Charles, husband Napoleon Michel, along with relative Nadia Donnay, all died in a fire that started as the family was preparing heir traditional Soup Joumou to celebrate Haiti Independence

A kitchen fire erupted at 11:45 p.m. in New York City's Elmhurst neighborhood, killing a Haitian couple and their cousin. Louise Jean-Charles, 59, and her husband Napoleon Michel, 69, became trapped inside their apartment. By the time fire crews arrived and rescued them, all three had suffered cardiac arrest.

The incident began when a pot of soup not attended to ignited a fire, quickly spreading to the dining room, living room, hallway, and bathroom, ending in the back bedrooms. When the firefighters entered they discovered the couple in the bedrooms. The cousin, Nadia Donnay, 37, was found jammed behind the door of the apartment. The three, who might've survived, could not be reached immediately because firefighters had to fight the blaze in the rooms leading to the bedrooms first.

Tags: fire, soup joumou, pumpkin soup, new york, queen

« Previous · Next »