Sans-Souci palace is located in the city of Milot near Cap-Haitian. It is located at the bottom of the mountain where the mountain top fortress Citadelle Laferriere dominate the Bay of Cap-Haitian.
Sans-Souci Palace was the residence of King Henri Christophe and his family. It took three years to build the Palace which started in 1810 and completed by 1813.
Bassin Zim is located on the East of Hinche, a 20 m waterfall. Many believe that there is great tourist potential for the region. However, all these have not been fully exploited for the benefits of the residents of Hinche. The government is encouraged to develop a plan to make the region more accessible to tourist.
History reported that Haitian General Francois Capois, Capoix-la-Mort mounted on his great horse, led his brigade despite storms of bullets from Vertieres forts. During the process, his horse was hit by a cannon and fell. General Francois Capois, Capoix-la-Mort took his sword and ran again to the head of his soldiers shouting always "Forward! Forward".
Here is a picture of the Historic site that help in the independence of Haiti.
The Battle of Vertiere, near Cap-Haitian was the last battle of the Expedition Santo Domingo.
It involves troop commanded by General Rochambeau against General Jean-Jacques Dessalines troups
The date is November 18, 1803 when General Jean-Jacques Dessalines ordered François Capois (Capois lamort) Brigade to take Fort Vertières. Capois-La-Mort asked his force to follow him, shouting: "Forward! Forward".
Here is a picture of a scene from The Battle of Vertieres that actually gave Haiti its independence. The Battle of Vertières was the last major battle of the Haitian War for Independence. This constituted the final part of the Haitian Revolution. This Battle of Vertieres near Cap-Haitian is considered to be the decisive battle
After Haiti gained its independence in 1804, the people who fought were not going to let the nation vulnerable to the Napoleon army and consequently allow the French to reestablish slavery all over again in Haiti. The heroes decided to build several forts all around the country for protections. Two of these forts were Fort Jacques and Fort Alexandre in the Ouest Department in order to protect Port-au-Prince.
Fort Jacques is located in the town of Kenskoff, it was built shortly after independence, between 1804 and 1806. Fort Alexandre was never finished due to the death of Jean Jacques Dessalines in 1806.
Here is a picture of Fort Pocolet lighthouse, near Cap-Haitian
Fort Picolet, walls now taken by trees, vines. Hopefully unimpeachable during its official tenure, the walls of Fort Picolet have now been taken by trees, vines and attendants of vodou ceremonies. An aerial shot of the fort today shows as much the green of vegetation as the grey of man's design. The fort didn't sustain much damage during its years of operation, the cannons were never fired, however, damage to one wall was sustained after a magazine exploded.
The cannons at Fort Picolet, built well over two hundred years ago, were never fired. Now rusted and mostly unseated from their mounts, they wait until the day a restoration project may be deemed necessary to salvage the heritage of the old Fort in the cliffs west of Cap Haitien. If such a project were to be undertaken, the work would not need to be too daunting, as, because of the stories of mystical ceremonies centered on Haitian vodou arts abound, not many people visit the site, leaving it in still-good shape.
Restoration work on Palace of 365 Doors in Petite-Riviere, Artibonite, part of Artibonite Department is under way. This magnificent and historic complex has a great importance in the history of Haiti
Palace of 365 Doors was designed by architect Louis Dupeyrac as a presidential home for King Henri Christophe in 1820. This palace was never completed.
Over the years, the building what was for the most part abandoned, had deteriorated significantly and several attempts were made to restore it.
President Stenio Vincent provided some funding to restore Palace of 365 Doors in Petite-Riviere, Artibonite. This was done primarily to stop any further deterioration and shield the complex from the natural elements.
Under Jean Claude Duvalier, Palace of 365 Doors was made into use as it lodging Haiti's National Security Volunteers. Recently, it was transformed into an elementary school and some national and local government offices.