Fort Jacques and Fort Alexandre in the town of Kenskoff, Haiti
After Haiti gained its independence in 1804, the people who fought were not going to let the nation vulnerable to the Napoleon army and consequently allow the French to reestablish slavery all over again in Haiti. The heroes decided to build several forts all around the country for protections. Two of these forts were Fort Jacques and Fort Alexandre in the Ouest Department in order to protect Port-au-Prince.
Fort Jacques is located in the town of Kenskoff, it was built shortly after independence, between 1804 and 1806. Fort Alexandre was never finished due to the death of Jean Jacques Dessalines in 1806.« Previous · Next »