Inauguration of the transitional Cathedral of Port-au-Prince
On Saturday, November 22, 2014, a transitional Cathedral was inaugurated in port-au-Prince. Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption, Port-au-Prince
The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption is also known as the Port-au-Prince Cathedral, it was constructed between 1884 and 1914 and became the church оf the Roman Catholic Archdiocese оf Port-au-Prince on 13 December 1928. The church was almost destroyed in the 2010 earthquake. Prior to its destruction, the cupola of the north tower used to serve as the front lighthouse for guiding mariners into the harbor of Port-au-Prince. Monseigneur Guyre Poulard, the Archbishop of Port-au-Prince launched an international designers competition in the fall of 2012 to rebuild the cathedral. After scrutinizing a total of 134 designs, 30 finalists were shortlisted and the winner was selected in February 2013. The winning designer to rebuild the church was Segundo Cardona, a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects (FAIA). The main requirements for rebuilding designs included: (a) Preserving the remains of dilapidated structure; (b) Plan should be suitable for the rituals of the church; (c) Creating civic space for non-religious purpose; (d) Creating a space for remembrance of the 2010 earthquake tragedy.