Here is a map of Saint-Louis du Sud provided by google satellite. Located in the South Department of Haiti, its geographical coordinates are 18° 16' 0" North, 73° 33' 0" West. There are several forts in the area
Founded in 1698, the city takes its name from Saint-Louis-du-Sud in 1721. Fort Olivier is located on the west side and is easily accessible. Another fort is Fort des Anglais and the only way to access this one is by boat. Out on Fort des Anglais, you can still see the rusting cannons that the British would use during their fightsfrom 1611 to 1753.
The history of this little town Saint-Louis-du-Sud is quite remarkable. From 1508 to 1677 it had changed hands three times. In 1508 , the Spanish founded the city of Saint-Louis-du-Sud under the name of " Villa Nueva Yaquine ". By 1655 , the English settled there around the bay and named it Cromwell Bay or Bay of Cromwell. In 1677 , it was the turn of the French when they settled there after driving out the English. Once again, the name was change to reflect the French ownership. Under the French, it was called Saint-Loui in honor of St. Louis not to mention the king of the time, the Sun King or Louis XIV.
Here is a picture of the Commune of Saint-Louis-du-Sud. In Haitian Creole, it is called Sen Lwi disid. This commune is located in the Southern Department, some twenty miles southeast of Cavaillon
The town of Saint-Louis-du-Sud has a population estimated at close to 60,000people and is dominated by the beautiful Bay of St. Louis.
Here is a picture of the historic Forts des Oliviers located in the region of Saint-Louis DU Sud.
It was built in colonial times by the French in order to fight the British troops. It is now considered as a touristic site that can contribute to the development of the region.
The people in Saint Louis Du Sud have been trying to promote the site recently. They have organized the "Festival of the Mermaid" which is a great attraction to the sea and also an opportunity for people to discover Fort Des Oliviers. The city of Saint-Louis du Sud attracts thousands of visitors from other regions in the country and the Diaspora in a fun atmosphere while enjoying nature in this small corner of Haiti. St. Louis South, was called the city of Louis XIV, a king in France. It is one of the oldest cities in Haiti. It was founded in 1508
Here is a picture of Fort des Oliviers located in the region of Saint Louid Du Sud.
Fort des Oliviers can be a great tourist attraction for the region of Saint LouisDu Sud. However, this has not been able to materialize. It is one of the treasure located in Haiti that nature will eventually destroy because the government has not had any plan in the past to maintain.
According to history, Fort des Oliviers was built during the colonial times by the French in order to fight the British troops