Saint-Louis-du-Sud in Haiti

Saint-Louis-du-Sud in Haiti

The history of this little town Saint-Louis-du-Sud is quite remarkable. From 1508 to 1677 it had changed hands three times. In 1508 , the Spanish founded the city of Saint-Louis-du-Sud under the name of " Villa Nueva Yaquine ". By 1655 , the English settled there around the bay and named it Cromwell Bay or Bay of Cromwell. In 1677 , it was the turn of the French when they settled there after driving out the English. Once again, the name was change to reflect the French ownership. Under the French, it was called Saint-Loui in honor of St. Louis not to mention the king of the time, the Sun King or Louis XIV.

Read more about Saint-Louis-du-Sud, Haiti

Write a comment

Return to List...