Bridge in departement de la grand-Anse
Jérémie, situated on the north coast of the Tiburon Peninsula, was established in the mid-1700s. Its port is part of Gulf Gonâve, and began exporting staples, timber wood, and raw hide in 1807.
Mulatto-elite Haitians settled Jérémie and produced writers, poets, and historians. For this reason, Jérémie has been labeled "City of Poets". Two districts comprise Jérémie, Haut-Ville, and Basse-Ville.
François Duvalier ruined its economy in the mid-sixties when he closed the port as retaliation for criticism of his repressive policies.
Tags: Bridge« Previous · Next »