La Navase Island Nature Reserve
Sitting off the Haitian peninsula, 30 miles due west, is La Navase Island. Made of inhospitable rocky terrain, it eventually became a guano mining operation in the mid-1800s.
Guano mining stopped in 1898. The abandoned island remained so until 1914 because of a light house constructed there.
Following World War II, La Navase stood bereft of life again. By 1999, the U.S.Department of the Interior sold the island to Fish and Wildlife Service to be used as a nature reserve.