The well preserved, attributable mainly to neglect, ruins of Fort Picolet gives a great glimpse into the past of Haiti under French rule. No doubt built to protect the French investment from rivals such as Spain and England, the fort had very few points of access and was littered with many great stone steps, some winding steeply and quite precariously up the rocky coastline. Today, many of these stairs and high walls remain, more or less, intact. Even a cistern for catching rain is still very well preserved.
The cannons at Fort Picolet, built well over two hundred years ago, were never fired. Now rusted and mostly unseated from their mounts, they wait until the day a restoration project may be deemed necessary to salvage the heritage of the old Fort in the cliffs west of Cap Haitien. If such a project were to be undertaken, the work would not need to be too daunting, as, because of the stories of mystical ceremonies centered on Haitian vodou arts abound, not many people visit the site, leaving it in still-good shape.
The past regimental glory that was Fort Picolet has given way to a ruin that serves mainly as a tourist attraction and also moonlights as a residence for squatters. Gaining access to the ruined fort includes a trek across a littered beach which leads to a rocky promontory, upon which the tumbledown fort now sits. Inside, a row of cannons, more fallen down than are standing, give eerie spectacle of the vagaries of time over once mighty vestiges of power.
Fort Picolet, like most other forts build to protect the settlements behind it, was the result of the importance of Cap Haitien to the French during their rule over Haiti. The one time capital of Haiti needed dependable fortification, so the fort was built on the side of a mountain accessible by a nearby beach. Beside the fort is a river for fresh water and the nearby harbor provided further accessibility. The fort fell into ruin after the series of revolts that liberated Haiti from French rule.
Construction on Fort Picolet began in 1736 by Mr. Larnage, but was not finished until 1741, under the guidance of Mr. Du Coudrean Engineer. The colonial fort was completed with secret tunnels, fierce battlements, winding, steep staircases and a lighthouse. Built for the defense of the French Cape, Fort Picolet was one of forty which were constructed in Haiti's north coast. It had two batteries a path for walking and a coastal wall. Its first commander was Henry Christophe.
Here is a map of Saint-Louis du Sud provided by google satellite. Located in the South Department of Haiti, its geographical coordinates are 18° 16' 0" North, 73° 33' 0" West. There are several forts in the area
Founded in 1698, the city takes its name from Saint-Louis-du-Sud in 1721. Fort Olivier is located on the west side and is easily accessible. Another fort is Fort des Anglais and the only way to access this one is by boat. Out on Fort des Anglais, you can still see the rusting cannons that the British would use during their fightsfrom 1611 to 1753.
Here is a picture of the historic Forts des Oliviers located in the region of Saint-Louis DU Sud.
It was built in colonial times by the French in order to fight the British troops. It is now considered as a touristic site that can contribute to the development of the region.
The people in Saint Louis Du Sud have been trying to promote the site recently. They have organized the "Festival of the Mermaid" which is a great attraction to the sea and also an opportunity for people to discover Fort Des Oliviers. The city of Saint-Louis du Sud attracts thousands of visitors from other regions in the country and the Diaspora in a fun atmosphere while enjoying nature in this small corner of Haiti. St. Louis South, was called the city of Louis XIV, a king in France. It is one of the oldest cities in Haiti. It was founded in 1508
Here is a picture of Fort des Oliviers located in the region of Saint Louid Du Sud.
Fort des Oliviers can be a great tourist attraction for the region of Saint LouisDu Sud. However, this has not been able to materialize. It is one of the treasure located in Haiti that nature will eventually destroy because the government has not had any plan in the past to maintain.
According to history, Fort des Oliviers was built during the colonial times by the French in order to fight the British troops
There has been over 40 fortifications that were built after the Independence of Haiti to guard against an eventual return of the French to reestablish slavery in the colony of Saint Domingue
Fort Drouet near the city of Arcahaie is one of them.
Fort Drouet was always part of the inventory of historic sites
Fort Drouet is well visible and has a rather well preserved coffee plantation with its main building,
Fort Drouet can be accessed by road that leads from Mirebalais , passing the cross to Saut d'Eau, to the Route Nationale #1.
A city naturally designed to be a great place. The coast line between Fort-Liberté Bay and Point Yaquezi has a low sandy beach. The reefs with mangrove forests are unique. The entrance to the city is easily recognizable
Between 1503 and 1505, Nicolás Ovando founded the town of Puerto Real around the town of Caracol, to the west of Fort-Liberté.