Fort Picolet with secret tunnels
Construction on Fort Picolet began in 1736 by Mr. Larnage, but was not finished until 1741, under the guidance of Mr. Du Coudrean Engineer. The colonial fort was completed with secret tunnels, fierce battlements, winding, steep staircases and a lighthouse. Built for the defense of the French Cape, Fort Picolet was one of forty which were constructed in Haiti's north coast. It had two batteries a path for walking and a coastal wall. Its first commander was Henry Christophe.